Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Mental Health Services
Affirming and supportive counseling & psychotherapy services for LGBT individuals, couples and families
Persons who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT) face unique challenges and concerns.
At The Family Institute, we've been supporting LGBT people and their families for decades. Through our specialized LGBT services, we offer mental health services specifically tailored to address the needs of LGBT individuals, couples and their families, provided by therapists who are experienced in working with LGBT clients and who understand the issues that impact their lives.
Individual, couple and family counseling and psychotherapy to help clients dealing with issues including:
- Understanding sexual orientation & gender identity
- When mom or dad is LGBT
- "Coming out" and disclosure to family, friends & co-workers
- Relationship satisfaction
- Coping with social stigma, bias & homophobia
- Challenges for couples
- Parenting an LGBT child
- Depression and anxiety
- Relationships with family and friends
Rainbow Families, a specialized therapy program for LGBT parents facing child-rearing issues such as:
- How (and when) to come out to your children
- Preparing your kids for their friends' inevitable questions
- Helping your sons and daughters understand their origins
- How your sexual orientation/gender identity impacts their own
- Coping with the heterosexism of schools, camps, and community organizations
- Should same-sex households provide opposite-sex influences?
- Challenges in everyday child management and child rearing
Read more about our LGBT service therapists on their bio pages:
Make an Appointment
To make an appointment for counseling or psychotherapy services, call Registration at 847-733-4300, ext. 263 and ask about therapists in the LGBT Program.